I just lately did a restore on this Seth Thomas motion. Its the most effective trying one Ive come accross and it opens up just a few questions on what progress was revamped 100 years or so. Firstly Unwell itemise what I like concerning the ST Motion…
- Has huge cogs in order that they dont have to be minimize as precisely and put on extra effectively.
- Makes use of a lyre association for the highest and backside plates to avoid wasting supplies and enhance entry for meeting and upkeep
- Has loop finish springs so that you simply dont want a spring barrel complicating issues
- Has a easy accessible escapement mechanism entrance mounted so you possibly can see it and get to it if required
- A good quantity of it’s made by hand e.g. the levers controlling the chime sequence. Changes are guide and dont contain fixings – you simply bend wires.
- The escapement cog is held in place with a bent bracket – hilarious, its purported to be an space the place issues are significantly correct however the USA appeared to have ignored this and its advantageous.
- Appears to be like implausible.
Okay all that is typical of an Amercan motion from Walsh or Ansonia or Thomas round 1850. I believe this one is somewhat later at 1875 however let’s imagine 100 years go by.
So lets examine this to the Perivale model motion of 1950. Its a really typical one of many interval and Ive chosen one with precisely the identical chime options.
- Its machine made for probably the most half
- It makes use of most likely the identical quantity of fabric
- The cogs are smaller and so put on out of tollerance extra shortly than the ST clock
- The smaller cogs are significantly delicate to mud and filth. The forces on the finish of the drive chain are very weak so a construct up of obstacles corresponding to pollen and airborne particles can cease the clock.
- The springs are in barrells which serve little function aside from to hinder entry to them.
- Its a nightmare to work on with out taking it utterly aside
- Non removeable rivets are used on parts stopping replacment when worn. Its designed with a finite lifetime in thoughts.
- Its no oil portray
Total its a win for simplicity and innovation on the a part of the USA.
The Perivale is okay and in its defence is extra compact, nevertheless, I do know which one I would favor in my wall or mantle clock.